.more than just your average web design agency / #pixelsource
- Newcastle Upon Tyne
- Newcastle Motor Show 2017
- NE1 Presents the Newcastle Motor Show Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th July 2017 Petrol heads, classic car enthusiasts and those who merely love anything shiny will be in their element when Grey Street in Newcastle plays host to some of the world's finest cars in the first ever, NE1 Newcastle Motor Show on Saturday 11th and Sunday 12th July. The NE1 Newcastle Motor Show will be free to attend and will be staged in one of the most prominent sites in the heart of Newcastle, with cars displayed from Grey's Monument down Grey Street. Grey Street will be closed to traffic during the two-day event to allow the public to marvel at the spectacle of an open-air car show with in excess of 100 rare, unique and exclusive vehicles on display. The area from Grey's Monument to the bottom of Grey Street will be separated into two distinct zones. Grey's Monument will host the NE1 Newcastle Motor Show sponsors area displaying vehicles from the brands on show, as well as some 'show-stopper' vehicles, which have yet to be announced. In addition to the sponsor's area, a collection of rare and unique vehicles will be on display. This area will also be home to other activities for visitors to enjoy including two driving simulators, games to get people in the motoring mood as well a host of activities for families with kids including retail units and entertainment. The second area, running down Grey Street from the Theatre Royal to Mosely Street is where private owners will display some of the finest cars in the region. From Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Bentleys to classic MGs and AC Cobras, expect to see Grey Street filled with some of the finest cars ever made.
- June 18th, 2017
- Ecommerce,Knowledge Base
- What Is PCI DSS
- What is PCI DSS?
Back in 2004 the Payment Card Industry founded a security standard council that manages the standard, or better described as a minimum set of security requirements to be implemented by all merchants and service providers that handle sensitive credit card data. In June 30th of 2005 the regulations took effect as the PCI Data Security Standard. So, this is a good thing, everyone should be PCI Compliant and the importance of looking after not only payment card information but customer data should be paramount. We are highlighting the outline to being PCI Compliant below: 1. Security
a) Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect data 2. Protection
a) Protect stored data (use encryption)
b) Encrypt transmission of cardholder data and sensitive information across public net 3. VPM (Vulnerability Management Program)
a) Use and regularly update anti-virus software
b) Develop and maintain secure systems and applications 4. Strong Access Control Measures
a) Restrict access to data by business need-to-know
b) Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
c) Restrict physical access to cardholder data 5. Monitor and Test
a) Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
b) Regularly test security systems and processes 6. Information Security Policy
a) Maintain a policy that addresses Information Security So this is all pretty straightforward, and what we would call basic housekeeping on custom data. What does this really mean to you if you run an online store (ecommerce) ? We have gathered up some quick FAQs for you to have a read. I use Paypal, do I need to do all of this?
Depending on what service you have from Paypal will depend on how much of the PCI burden gets shifted from you to Paypal. At the end of the day, you have to get a consumer from your website to Paypal and back again so you are likely to be liable for certain elements of the PCI compliance transaction. I don't store card data on my servers, do I need to be PCI compliant?
As above, you are still liable for certain elements of the PCI liability and need to reach down deep inside your own internal security policies. If you have any questions regarding PCI Compliancy contact your acquiring bank
- June 14th, 2017
- South Shields
- Rory Bremner In South Shields
- Rory Bremner - Partly Political Mon 24th July 2017 Britain's best-known satirical impressionist is back with a fresh lineup including Trump, Boris and Brexit fresh in the memory, Rory's on a mission to make sense (and nonsense) of it all. (Good luck with THAT.) He will be joined by special surprise guests: some politicians, some comedians. Come and work out which is which! Best known for the political satire show Bremner, Bird and fortune which was, for nearly twenty years a mainstay of Channel 4's comedy output Rory's also won back-to-back BAFTAs for Britain's Top Comedy Performances, three Royal Television Society and two British Comedy Awards. He's guested on many of Britain's top comedy shoes on radio and TV, including Spitting Image, Whose Line Is It Anyway, Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, The News Quiz, The Now Show and QI. - See more at: https://www.customshouse.co.uk/theatre/rory-bremner%3A-partly-political-/#sthash.PL0AC3Uz.dpuf
- June 14th, 2017
- South Shields
- South Tyneside Festival 2017
- The South Tyneside Festival is an annual three-month celebration of music and culture in South Shields. Soak up the atmosphere at open-air concerts in lush green parkland with spectacular views of golden-sand beaches and soaring cliffs. The musical acts range from chart-topping stars to traditional northern brass bands.
KT Tunstall: Sunday 9 July
The very talented singer song writer, famous for hits such as 'Suddenly I See' and 'Black Horse and the Cherry Tree', will be headlining this open-air concert, set at the heart of South Shields' Seafront. Busted: Sunday 16 July
Famed for hits including Air Hostess, What I Go To School For, Crashed the Wedding and Year 3000, the double Brit-winning pop-rock trio will take to the Bents Park stage on Sunday 16 July. Louisa Johnson plus 5 After Midnight and Jedward: Sunday 23 July
A trio of X Factor stars for the third in this year's South Tyneside Festival Summer Concert series on Sunday 23 July. Sister Sledge plus support: Sunday 30 July
The legendary singing sisters, Sister Sledge, will headline the last event in this year's Sunday Concerts series, held as part of the South Tyneside Festival. After becoming a three-piece when Kathy left in 1989, the band were recently rocked by the death of sister Joni. Now remaining members Debbie and Kim are set to honour and remember Joni at they hit the road this summer. Summer Parade, visitors to the town will be whisked away into a world of fantasy as Once Upon a Time forms the central theme of the Summer Parade Live Music at the Amphitheater, every Thursday and Saturday evening between 1 & 24 June for great outdoor music experiences featuring performances from some of the most talented bands from around the region. Brass Bands at the Amphitheater, every Sunday afternoon throughout June to August. For full event listings and details visit the South Tyneside Festival website.
- May 20th, 2017
- Why I Wont Buy From Your Store
- There are a few fundamental things that you need to do to turn your ecommerce website from zero to hero with very little time commitment and a firm plan. Here we run through the top six things to focus on (to get you started).
Step 1 - Product Photos
Gone are the days when you need to optimise images to make them smaller, nowadays broadband speed is super fast, make sure you get hi-resolution photos of your products into your website and let your website do the leg work when rendering them. Your customers expect a high quality product, therefore deliver a high quality photo of it. Step 2 - Content Is King
Did you know that an average users spends less than 6 seconds focussing on the text on your website? This means you have very little time to make the right impression. Ensure you have the most important text at the top, big enough to read and easy enough to understand. Try not to get hung up on what Google thinks and SEO elements of your page. Step 3 - Make Sure Your Cart Works
This may seem like a no brainer but you would be surprised to hear that we have come across lots of ecommerce websites where the cart doesn't allow the user to checkout properly. That equals no sales and no revenue. Have a run through and try and buy something on your website to make sure everything is ok. Try and target ways to get your customers through the checkout process quicker and easier. Step 4 - Go Mobile!
If you haven't done so already your website should be fully responsive, by this we mean that shoppers can buy your products just as easy on a mobile device than they can on their desktop computer. Have a go yourself to make sure everything is in place and working how it should be. If it isn't then you have a problem, contact Pixelsource today. Step 5 - Introducing Videos
Some say a picture says a thousand words, well video tells a whole lot more. Invest some money in providing videos for your products. This will allow you to deliver so much more information to your customer. As an example, if you are selling bikes, think of the impact that a video will make if your customer can see the bike in action. Also, if it is a technical product think about providing commentry on the video instead of writing technical content. Step 6 - Ditch the stock photos
You will have seen them, we are sure of it, nicely polished young men and women, smartly dressed with teeth that would require you to re-mortgage your house for. Have a think about your customer, identify and tailor the images accordingly. Don't be afraid to use photos of your staff, these are genuine and won't be so polished. We hope this small guide will get you thinking about converting more sales for your ecommerce website. For more information about selling online, visit our ecommerce page or for information about marketing effectively you can find this information just here or if you feel the time is right for a professional web design agency to get you moving in the right direction please contact Pebble on 0191 4234251, reach out to us on Twitter or email us via our contact form.
- May 19th, 2017
- Don't Lose Out After Your Customers Checkout
- If you sell online and offer customers to chance to pay online then your checkout page may not be doing you justice, if your customer journey ends there then we need to be adding a little more engagement here. Let's have a look at a few things to engage with your customers after they have completed their payment: 1. Don't Keep Them In The Dark Not everyone understands the process of buying products from you so keep them in the loop with how your business works, you can easily explain what the next steps are for your customer, as an example: Thanks for your payment! We have received your order and our expert staff are getting this ready for you. We have sent you an email with your order number and we will send you another email when your product(s) have left our warehouse. If there is a tracking number it will be included in your email. 2. Offer A Discount Code This method is highly effective and has excellent conversion rates for returning customers. Once they have checked out, offer them a discount code and some teaser text, e.g. Thanks for your order. As a small thank you we'd like to offer you this discount code which will give you 10% off your next order. 3. Get Them On Your Mailing List You can ask your customer if they want to be kept up to date with the latest offers from you. The conversion rate of signing up on this page is high as they have completed a purchase from you and you can segment your users for email marketing. 4. Get Vital Feedback A popular engagement technique is to get valuable feedback on how their purchase went. This is important to you on progressing your website and ensuring the customer journey is as smooth as possible, ask simple but effective questions like, "How was your shopping experience?", "Would you recommend us to a friend?" etc. 5. Social Sharing Social Media is a useful marketing platform and you can ask your visitors to share their purchases online (if suitable) to their social media channel. You may have seen this kind of method before, it looks something like: "I just bought a [product name] from [retailer]" where they can post it to Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram.
- May 12th, 2017
- Knowledge Base,Social Media
- What Is Google Plus?
- Google+ (also known as Google Plus) is an interest-based social network that is owned and operated by Google. It was founded on June 15th 2011 by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, along with Bradley Horowitz as the Vice President Product. Many people compare Google+ to Facebook, however it is quite different. Although it is a social networking site, it differs to Facebook because it connects people within the context of many of Google's services.Just two weeks after it launched, Google+ reached 10 million users, and after a month, it reached 25 million. 28% of people that use Google+ are aged 15-34. The main gender of users is mainly male as 74% are male and only 26% are female. 55% of users are from the United States of America and only 5% are from the UK. In 2016, they had around 540 million monthly active users interacting with Google+, however it's been noted that almost half of its users don't visit the site at all and The New York Times likened it to a "ghost town". In fact, Google+ has received a lot of criticism since its launch, the media has even declared the network as obsolete. However, Google+ is a good marketing platform for businesses. Everything that is posted on Google+ for Business page is immediately indexed by Google. Therefore, the content that businesses post there, is more than likely to rank in search results. For more information about how social media can help your business like Google Plus then speak to us on 0191 4234251 or email us via our contact form, you can of course visit us on Google Plus !
- May 10th, 2017
- Knowledge Base,Social Media
- What Is Twitter?
- Twitter is an online news and social networking service where users can post and interact with messages or "tweets"; restricted to 140 characters. To receive Twitter feeds, you search for someone interesting, including celebrities, and 'follow' them. Twitter was founded on March 21st 2006 by Jack Dorsey, Noah Glass, Biz Stone and Evan Williams. The idea was introduced by Jack Dorsey who initially had the idea of an individual using an SMS service to communcate with a small group. Evan Williams jokingly suggested naming the project 'Friendstalker' but that was quickly ruled out as too creepy. Noah Glass, shortly after, discovered the name Twitter after flicking through the dictionary and found the definition; "the light chirping sound made by certain birds". The project's original code name was 'twttr' - inspired by Flickr. However, six months after the launch of twttr, they purchased the domain twitter.com and changed the name to Twitter. Twitter has over 310 million monthly active users and over 1.3 billion accounts have been created. Katy Perry has the highest number of followers with 96 million. Justin Bieber shortly follows with 92 million. The demographics for Twitter show that teenagers are the most active age demographic; 42% are aged 15-17, 32% are aged 18-29 and only 13% are aged 50-64. Overall, more men use Twitter than women. As of March 2017, it is the seventh most visited website in the world.Pebble are all about social media, for more information on how Twitter can help your business get in touch with us on 0191 4234251 or why not visit us on Twitter!
- April 7th, 2017
- Knowledge Base
- How To Setup Your Email Account In Outlook
- This post applies to Outlook 2003, 2007 & 2010
Click the File tab. Then, just above the Account Settings button, click Add Account. Click Manually configure server settings or additional server types, and then click Next. On the Choose Service page, select Internet E-mail, and then click Next. Provide the following information on the Internet E-mail Settings page. Under User Information:
In the Your Name box, enter the name you want users to see when you send email from this account. In the E-mail Address box, enter your email address. Under Server Information:
Under Account Type:
Select IMAP or POP3. We recommend using IMAP because it supports more features. In the Incoming mail server box, enter the IMAP or POP server name that has been provided by Pebble. In the Outgoing mail server (SMTP) box, enter the SMTP server name that has been provided by Pebble. Under Logon Information:
In the User Name box, enter your email address. In the Password box, enter your password provided by Pebble. If you want Outlook to remember your password, make sure the check box next to Remember password is selected. At the bottom of the page, click More Settings, and then fill in the Internet E-Mail Settings dialog box as follows: On the Outgoing Server tab, select My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. On the Advanced tab:
Under Incoming server (IMAP), or Incoming server (POP3), next to Use the following type of encrypted connection, deselect SSL in the drop-down list. Under Outgoing server (SMTP), use same settings as Incoming server If you're using POP3 and you want to keep a copy of your messages on the server, under Delivery, click Leave a copy of messages on the server. If you don't select this option, all messages will be removed from the server and stored locally on your computer. On the Add New Account page, click Next. After Outlook tests your account, click Close to close the Test Account Settings dialog box.
On the Congratulations page, click Finish.
On the Account Settings page, click Close.
- April 4th, 2017
- Knowledge Base
- DNS Explained
- Sometimes you may hear geeky people talking about them and below you can find out exactly what they mean.
DNS - What does it stand for?
DNS mean "Domain Name System". It is basically a service that figures out, or translates between an internet name (www.pixelsource.co.uk) and its IP address (126.96.36.199). The best analogy is to think of them as matching you "as a person" to the house you live at "your address". Except, in the world of the Internet, you cannot live at 2 different addresses. This would confuse a computer and maybe some people.
The most common DNS record types found (not all of them)
Sometimes called an "Address Record". This record assigns an IP address to a domain (pixelsource.co.uk) or to a sub domain (my.pixelsource.co.uk). It becomes very useful if you have sub domains on various systems. "AAAA"
This AAAA record or, as it is also known, an IPv6 address record. This will map a hostname to a IPv6 address (128-bit). "CNAME"
Sometimes called a Canonical Name record. This makes a domain name an alias of another domain name you may have. As an example, you can make "www.pixelsource.co.uk" go to "pixelsource.co.uk". We never recommend CNAME defined hostnames in your MX records. "MX"
This is a mail exchange record and will map your domain name to your mail exchange server or servers. You can have multiple mail exchange servers in an MX record. "NS"
Technically called a Name Server record. The NS record shows the authoritative name servers for your domain and is listed on the parent server. "SOA"
Stands for "State of Authority". This is probably the most important part of your zone file and displays information about the domain itself including the last time it was updated, the administrative email address of the owner etc. We hope that this page has been useful, if you have left more confused than when you arrived, this was definitely not our intention.
- April 4th, 2017
- Knowledge Base,Social Media
- What Is Linkedin?
- LinkedIn is a business and employment orientated social networking service that operates through websites and mobile apps. It helps you connect with other professionals and helps you stay in contact with millions of users. It is mainly used for professional networking, where employers can post jobs and job seekers can post their CVs.It is a professional way to promote your personal brand online. It was founded in December 2002 and launched in May 2003 by Reid Hoffman, Allen Blue, Konstantin Guericke, Eric Ly and Jean-Luc Vaillant in Mountain View, California, USA. By April 2007, LinkedIn reached 10 million users and in February 2008, it launched a mobile version of the site. By 2015, it had more than 400 million users in over 200 countries and is significantly ahead of its competitors Viadeo and XING. LinkedIn now has over 467 million users. There are more male users than female on LinkedIn with 56% being male and 44% being female. Almost a quarter of all users are aged 18-29. As of 2014, at least two people joined LinkedIn every second. By now, that number would have increased by a fair amount. More than 25 million LinkedIn profiles are viewed every day. LinkedIn is the 24th most visited website in the world as of April 2017. For more information about how LinkedIn can help your business as a social media tool get in touch with Pixelsource on 0191 4234251, you can also email us via our contact form or visit us on our very own LinkedIn page.
- March 23rd, 2017
- Knowledge Base,Social Media
- What Is Pintrest?
- Pinterest is a web and mobile application company that operates a photo sharing site. It was founded by Ben Silbermann, Paul Sciarra and Evans Sharp in March 2010 in San Francisco, California, USA. Pinterest allows users to save images and categorise them on different boards. They can follow other users' boards if they have similar interests. CEO Ben Silbermann says Pinterest is not a social media network and the reason for this is because when you're using the service to "pin" or save photos, you're doing it for yourself and not for others. The early growth of Pinterest wasn't as Ben Silbermann expected as four months after its launch, it only had a few thousand users. The launch of the iPhone app for Pinterest in May 2011, however, brought in more downloads than expected and then by December 2011, the site became one of the top 10 biggest social network services, with 11 million visits per week. As of January 2017, the total number of monthly active users is 150 million. The majority of users globally are female (85%). As of April 2017, it is the 65th most visited website in the world. It is valued at more than $11 billion. For more information about Pinterest and how it can help your Social Media strategy get in touch with Pixelsource via telephone on 0191 4234251 or email us via our contact form
- March 1st, 2017